Tuesday 1 January 2013

Review - Coffee, Tea, the Gypsy and Me by Caroline James



I absolutely loved this story!

Jo's husband ran off to Spain with their young spanish Nanny and so it was up to Jo to make a new life for herself and her son. On an impulse she buys Kirkton House - a run down guest house, and with the help of a number of local people that she took on as staff, in particular Hattie, with who she became firm friends, they work really hard to make sure they are able to open the refurbished country house hotel in time for the notorious Fair Week.

The Fair is a 300 year old gypsy tradition which the locals hate.  Keeping her hotel  fully booked and her young son happy and loved are the only things on her mind - that is until the handsome John Doherty walks through her door!

As soon as Caroline  starting to write about Kirkton House, I could picture it vividly in my mind and when the refurbishment was complete I wanted to book a room there so i could experience it for myself.  The more I read, the more I felt like I'd actually been there and walked around every area of this delightful house and sunbathed in the glorious garden and I loved it.  I felt like I'd eaten many of the fabulous meals that were created in the kitchen and found my mouth watering when I was reading about them. 

I loved the easy and natural friendship that was forged between Jo and Hattie and how Hattie wanted Jo to make the best of herself and look the part as the owner of this prestigious hotel. I found Jo to be an amazing hostess, and with Hattie on her side they couldn't fail to have a success on their hands.  I felt like I knew each of these amazing ladies and went through such as lot with them in the space of reading this book.  They were so supportive of each other and would have done anything to help the other. 

It was emotional in parts, hilarious in others, great fun to read and fabulously romantic all rolled into one.  As far as I was concerned, the ending was perfect and everything that I hoped for.     

This was a thoroughly enjoyable read, very entertaining, and left you wanting to turn the pages as quickly as possible to find out how the story was going to end.  Caroline is a wonderful author, naturally descriptive and the words just flowed so well throughout.  A fabulous book, which I adored. 
Caroline James ran away from home when she was 15 years old, and after a shaky start working as a waitress on the south coast, clawed her way through the hospitality industry at college in Bournemouth to the front desk of a leading London hotel.  She has owned and run businesses encompassing all aspects of the catering industry, from a pub to a hotel, restaurants and outside catering.  She now lives in Cheshire and runs a hospitality related company and loves to spend her leisure time writing and climbing mountains.

You can buy this book via Amazon

You can follow Caroline on Twitter

2 comments:

Rea's Book Reviews said...

loved this book to. Lovely to hear the backgroud of the author xXx

Caroline James said...

Thank you Rea xx