Wednesday 8 June 2011

Review - Touched By The Light by Linn B Halton

When Linn B Halton sent me Touched By The Light to add to my To Be Read pile, I did say it would be quite a while before I got chance to read it.  I’d like to apologize to all other authors who have sent me books to read and review as knowing that this book was about life after death and souls and spirits, and however hard I tried to walk past it and ignore it, I found that I just couldn’t! 

Mya finds herself in a very odd position.  She remembers pain and panic, and then remembers going towards a bright light and the pain and panic became peaceful and calm.  She believes that she has died and has passed over to “the other side”.  She’s desperate to find out how her friends and family are coping without her, and the only way that she seems to be able to do this is to make a young lady called Laurel help her. 

Laurel lives with Dan and no-one in her life is aware of the fact that she can see, hear and talk to spirits.  She’s always blocked it out in the past but Mya is so persistant that she finally gives in and communicates with this lost soul.  She is in a relationship with Dan but that has its own problems and she’s unsure if she’s in the right job, so has a lot going on in her own mind, and now has Mya to complicate things even further. 

This book tells the tale from all points of view and how each of the characters have an effect on each other.   Mya seems to come and go without any control and has to learn how to communicate with the people that she chooses to spend time with.   

This book is a moving, sad, funny, happy and emotional tale of a some very confused people, and a novice, befuddled spirit all making new lives for themselves.  The unexpected twist had me sat open mouthed for quite a while; it was SO not what I had thought was going to happen - quite unpredicted leaving me a little bewildered myself!

Not going to give any more of the plot of this wonderful book away, you need to read it for yourself.  If you are interested in life after death and the spirit world, you will really enjoy this novel.  If you are not interested in these things, I still think it’s a book that you will get a lot of pleasure from.  It’s a well written, easy to read, original and fresh book that I thoroughly liked reading and really looked forward to discovering what was going to happen in the end. 

Originally from Bristol, Linn lives in Nailsworth in Gloucestershire, with her husband Lawrence.  They've renovated many houses over the years and have encountered a few unusual "experiences" and "presences" along the way.  She has written about these experiences in Being A Sceptic is Oh So Easy

Linn wrote Touched By The Light shortly after the death of her mother and is a big advocate of the waying "seeing is believing!"  You can learn more about Linn at her website and also read more about loveahappyending.com


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds absolutely perfect for my book shelf. Thanks for the recommendation, Kim. I'm going to get this one.

CJ xx

Linn B Halton and Lucy Coleman said...

Aside from thanking you for a wonderful review of my debut novel, I am just so thrilled that our paths crossed Kim. You are an interesting lady, have a passion for reading that is astounding and you truly ARE the official definition of a 'Book Worm'. But more than that, all of the new authors over at loveahappyending.com are so thrilled to have you as an Associate Reader. You bring an element of fun that we all love and it's going to be a great party. You have one fan for life - and you are my morning coffee read!
Linn x

Pauline Barclay said...

Linn is a fab lady and I can not wait to see Touched by the Light as an ebook, living so far from the UK it is so much easier for us to buy and download Kindle...hurry up Linn please.

In the meantime, I wish Linn zillions of sales and all the luck in the world. x

Thank you Kim for sharing this with us. x

Kim The Book Worm said...

Thank you lovely ladies for leaving such great comments. It was a fab book.
Kim
x

Janice said...

As a sceptic myself, I'm currently reading Linn's 'Being a Sceptic is Oh So Easy' - and enjoying being introduced to Linn's thoughts and experiences of 'after life'. Now I'm feeling 'open minded' on the issue I'm really looking to reading 'Touched by the Light' as Linn has such a clear and descripive 'writing' voice and the subject is really quite facinating. Thanks for the interesting review Kim!

Linn B Halton and Lucy Coleman said...

Thank you for your lovely words Janice. 'Being A Sceptic Is Oh So Easy' wasn't written with the intention of getting it published. However, I wanted family members to have a record of what had happened, particularly when my grandchildren are older. I learnt a lot about how to publish on Kindle in the process, so can't wait to use that knowledge in the near future with my next work of fiction! Best regards, Linn x