Sunday 20 March 2011

Mothers and Daughters by Kate Long

Mothers and Daughters by Kate Long had me riding a rollercoaster of emotions. 

Carol, a doting grandmother, who spent her life suffering with her unfaithful husband Phil, so that her difficult daughter Jaz can grow up in a proper family, finds herself in the dreadful position where her daughter discovers her husband Ian has slept with someone else.  Carol helps out massively with looking after her grandson Matty so that Jaz can focus her mind on what she should do. 

Jaz, hurt and disillusioned that all men are philandering swines immediately cuts Ian off from their son but Carol feels that Ian might take drastic action if he doesn’t get to see his son, so allows Ian to spend time with Matty at her house.  When Jaz discovers this further deceit from a member of her family, she tells Carol that she will never see Matty again, and disappears off the face of the earth.  Carol spends time with Ian’s handsome and caring father trying to find them both, and is also aided by ex-husband Phil – are you still with me?   Phil wants Carol to try again with him and David also wants to start a relationship with her, but with her mind full of unease and anxiety about her daughter and grandson she hasn’t a clue which way to turn. 

Don’t want to spoil the end, and I’m going to leave you to find out who Carol chooses and whether she finds Jaz and Matty, and whether Jaz and Ian rekindle their marriage.  You’ll have to read it yourself to find out if there was a happy ending. 

A fabulous read which I thoroughly enjoyed.    Totally lost in the emotions of each of the characters, one minute I felt I was Jaz feeling her pain and sorrow at the breakdown of what she thought was a rock solid marriage, and then I felt I was Carol, feeling the overwhelming love for her grandson and the sorrow and loss she felt when Jaz took him away.

Thank you to Kate Long for creating these fabulous characters in this superb tale of love and loss.   Can’t wait to read more of your books. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds fascinating and very real to life's circumstances. It isn't uncommon for such events to become incredibly complicated, especially when there are children involved, and I feel Kate has done a great job. Definitely a book I will be looking out for.

CJ xx

Kim said...

Thanks for your comments Crystal. It's definitely worth looking out for. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did x

Jules said...

I have this book waiting to read on my bookshelf, I think I will bump it up the TBR pile.

I'm new to your blog, but so far I think it is really good.

I'm new to the blogging world myself, I look forward to following your reviews and interviews!

Jules

Kim The Book Worm said...

Thanks for your comments Jules, hope to keep it fresh and interesting. I would definitely bump it up the pile, it's a fab read. Kim x